Sunday, October 31, 2010

Welcome to My SPD Life blog!

Hello there friends and SPD family!

My name is Dan Travis, and I am a 22 year old college student at Washtenaw Community College, putting the finishing touches on an Associates' Degree in Internet Professional (Web Development). I work at the same school as a student writing tutor, so I help other students with their writing assignments.

For those who aren't aware, I have been diagnosed with a neurological impairment known as Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). People with SPD have a hard time processing incoming sensory input.  I'm often over or under sensitive to sensory input, or I seek out extreme amounts of input. I also have issues with motor control, coordination, and posture that can not be explained by anything other than SPD. This blog will primarily be an outlet for me to share about my life with this disability.

Since I learned about SPD back in January of 2008, my life has changed significantly. Before, I pretty much had no friends, either online or in person. That changed within months of my discovery, as it convinced me to become active online in search of support. The help I have found has been tremendous. The friendships have been even better. I am still working on the 'in person' part though. ;)

I now run, on top of this blog, a few websites on the topic:
SPD International Forums - spdinternational.org
SPD Life Adult SPD Resource Center - spdlife.org
SPD Parent SHARE - spdparentshare.com

It has taken me nearly 3 years to get myself to set up this blog, but I have finally done it!

Welcome one, welcome all, to My SPD Life.

2 comments:

  1. Lol, well thank you Rach :-P. Nowhere near yours yet, but I'll get working on it soon enough!

    ReplyDelete