Thursday, September 29, 2011

Update 2: The Summer

Well, the lazy blogger is at it again. I believe it's been over two months since I said I'd be posting another update soon. Well, I guess I'm not great at keeping up with that pace. One thing leads to another, and pretty soon, I'm way behind.

So, here is the story of April through September, in quick blow-by-blows:

April
Was a very interesting month for me, indeed! I will focus on just the highlights. Perhaps the best thing to to happen in April was my opportunity to meet Carol Kranowitz. That's right, I got to meet the lady who wrote the 'SPD bible,' "The Out-of-Sync Child." I was at OT one day and noticed a flier declaring she was coming to town. As luck would have it, she was actually coming to *my* school!

So, on Monday, April 11, I was able to spend pretty much an entire day in the Morris Lawrence building at Washtenaw Community College, attending a presentation by Kranowitz, herself. I couldn't miss the opportunity to go up and speak to her personally. I made sure to thank her for publishing my article in the Spring 2009 edition of SI Focus. I also offered her my services in any future projects she had, and she told me I might be able to come in handy in the near future, after all. I relished the chance to snag a quick picture of myself with her, too, of course.

Sure, I had to miss a day of work and spend fifteen dollars (or whatever it was) to see her, but that was a very small price to pay, in my mind. ;)

As far as school went during April, it progressed quite smoothly. I put in the finishing touches on all my assignments and got relatively high marks. I ended up finishing my Internet Professional requirements, meaning I now have all the credits I need to get my Associate's Degree in the INP field!

However, if April seems like it was a great month, and it was, it wasn't without its own difficulties. Primarily, my car was stolen! That's right; I parked it in front of the house one afternoon after work, and when I woke up the next morning, it was gone. No shattered glass, no debris, no car. I filed a report at the police station, and a few days later I received a phone call that my car had been found, stripped of all its critical parts, in an impound lot in Detroit. So, from that point on, it's been nothing but getting rides and borrowing cars for me. (And no, insurance didn't cover anything because it was a used vehicle and I didn't pay the boatload of money I would have needed to to cover theft.)


The Summer
I'll combine my summer all into one heading because, well, it all felt like one big blur! I spent the entire summer working at the writing center and writing America's Mafia, which is now a book. That's right; what was a television series is now a series of books, as many as six, to be exact. JT and I hammered away at this task all summer. If it wasn't so late and I wasn't so tired, I'd get into it much deeper, but for now, let's just say it was an incredible experience, and we are currently trying to find a publisher for the work.

So, that's a real quick update for now. There was much more that happened, but I think I'll save the rest for another day. I just felt like I should share something with you all. :)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on everything, Dan! Sounds like life is going pretty well for you right now. And that's awesome you got to meet Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, that was an awesome experience. I hope things are going well for you too. :)

    ReplyDelete